Mindbridge minutes Wednesday, April 5, 2006

  • The meeting was held in Cedar Rapids at 7:00 pm, in the home of Denny Lynch
  • The meeting was called to order by Catherine Schaff-Stump
  • Treasures report, supplied by Jon Maakestad, was read by Christine Cromwell.
    • checking account balance: $9,622.30
    • AnimeIowa account balance: $18,507.00
    • ICON account balance: $695.80
  • Gamicon report and bid vote
    • there is only one bid to vote on
    • Catherine Schaff-Stump asked if the goal will be to increase attendance or to maintain the status quo
    • Steve Tait said he was interested in advertising, like writing to gamers magazines
    • Fred Coverdill asked what we do outside of a postcard flyer for advertising
    • John Frick said they were planning to send out postcards, flyers, and a second postcard
    • Brian Womachka and Steve will help with advertising
    • Catherine asked Brian if there was anything else
    • Brian said the budget was balanced, they should make $100 profit, and have an attendance goal of 266
    • Steve asked if we had weather insurance
    • Cath said not, just insurance for terrible things like injuries
    • Brian added, or hotel cancelations
    • Cath held the vote, there were 10 votes and 4 proxies approving the Gamicon bid, no opposed, and no Joshes
    • a question was asked if we knew the guest of honor
    • Brian said they were waiting until it was official
    • Denny Lynch suggested inviting Miyazaki
  • ICON report by John Frick
    • John Frick said the contracts are signed for the artist and guest of honor
    • registrations are being sold
    • there is a positive bank balance
    • things are coming along well
    • Jennifer Todd asked where information will be posted
    • John said on the ICON list (on the ICON Yahoo group)
  • Preplanning Committee report by Catherine Schaff-Stump
    • ICON:
      • there is a bid with the Clarion, with Zazaa, the Clarion is under new management
      • Shannon Finnegan was to send an ICON bid for 2007 to Michele and Jon this week
    • AnimeIowa:
      • Laura Thomas replaces Ryan Hammel for AnimeIowa Preplanning
      • Steve Tait asked about the absent member policy
      • Cath said the board can decide to waive the normal attendance
      • John Frick would like to volunteer to sit in on meeting for ICON to learn how to run cons
      • Cath reminded everyone that AnimeIowa does have a continuity, and there are about 350 people who attend ICON from which to draw new people, but there is a “graying of cons” taking place all over
      • Fred Coverdill suggested contacting high school students
      • Cath still thinks the current base is the best place to draw from
      • John said it would be good to get better guests
      • Cath said it would be good to build towards this goal
      • Marty Milder said better guests cost more money, with a limited budget can we do this?
      • Cath said we need to ask ICON attendees, we need a poll to see what they want more, to see a guest or to hang out with their buddies
      • Steve said, rather than a guest, ICON 13 had a guest fandom, 25-30 people said they never knew there was a SciFi Convention in Iowa City
      • Brian said Critical Hits Games in Coralville had never heard of Gamicon
  • Old business – Art Show and copyright policy
    • Cath said we will vote on it next month (May meeting) The policy goal is to make up legal
    • both Denny Lynch and Jenny Todd talked bout parody art being sold at ICON
    • Bryan Stump said it is not legal, for example, Miyazaki is now with Disney
    • Steve Tait asked about selling mass produced, used art
    • Cath said it isn’t allowed, that is more of an auction item
    • enny said the movie industry want to eliminate videos, DVDs, CDs, and sheet music, from second hand sales
    • Jenny asked about the Dealers Room
    • Cath said the Dealers Room has not been addressed yet, it will need a separate policy
    • Marty Milder asked about the scenario that someone, in exchange for art, agrees to donate a sizable amount to a charity
    • Cath said to let her know if there are any more issues and it will be put on the agenda for next month
    • the reason for the policy is that both AnimeIowa and ICON get a cut from the art show
  • Old business – storage locker inventory
    • Marty Milder will set a time in early May to take an inventory
  • New business – personnel issues
    • 1we will need a new treasurer within a year, March 2007, the books and receipts are organized well
    • Christine Cromwell said she prefers being a treasurer over a secretary, that is usually what she has been in past organizations, and she holds a Certificate in Accounting from Northwestern University
    • Fred Coverdill said his father, Fred Coverdill Sr, would be willing and able to be the treasurer, Fred talked to his father on his cell phone
    • Steve Tait, lives in Springville (about an hour from Iowa City), but he would be willing to help
    • Cath thinks it would be easier to find a secretary than to find a treasurer
    • 2we will also need a database manager
    • the registration system is dreadful
    • John Frick asked if we need a database vs. access – John has done database but cannot volunteer for management due to his current job
    • Cath said the board needs to look at the issue
    • Cath said Josh Goldsborough also is good
    • Brian Womachka said Jeff Strauss (a Con com member) might be interested
    • Marty Milder said we need to create a document about what exactly is the needed from a database
  • New business – board member terms
    • Ryan Hammel is being replaced as a board member
    • the term is up in October 2006
    • the floor is open for nominations, write or call the board with names
  • New business – board structure
    • currently there are two permanent board members with no number of years given for their terms; two board member positions with 2-year terms who can serve on Con Coms; and one 1-year term board member
    • originally the Mindbridge vision guided the group, now the group itself, the members, guide the vision
    • one suggestion is to have five board members with staggered terms, such as 3-year terms
    • Jenny Todd likes the 1-year rotating term, it is useful
    • John Frick thinks 3-years is excessive, go to 2-year terms
    • Steve Tait thought the permanent board member names were used so that the same names would go on the tax forms each year
    • John said we could have one name repeat from the previous tax year, each time
    • the board will continue discussing this issue/li>
  • Tammy Siler Jones to read in North Liberty
    • Tamara Siler Jones will be reading and signing at the North Liberty Library on Thursday, April 6, 2006, at 7:00 pm.
  • the May 3, 2006 meeting will be in Iowa City at The Mill

Mindbridge minutes, Wednesday, March 1, 2006

  • The meeting was called to order by Catherine Schaff-Stump
  • Treasures report was read by Jon Maakestad.
    • checking account balance: $9,682.30
    • AnimeIowa account balance: $15,00.00
    • Icon account balance: $1,170.40
    • Gamicon account balance: $5,867.81
  • Gamicon report was read by Michele Maakestad
    • the badge count was 197, down from the usual 250
    • because there was no guest of honor, the budget is okay
    • we went a little over on the cost of the program booklets
    • a Mindbridge meeting took place Sunday morning at 10:00 am
    • at the meeting, a bid was given for next year’s Gamicon
  • Jon Maakestad notified Mindbridge members that he will retire
    • Jon presented and read a letter of his intention to retire from the treasure position, effective March 1, 2007
    • Jon wants to teach/train a new person
  • discussion about board positions
    • Michele Maakestad said the board has discussed redesigning the board to remove “permanent” from the positions
    • Michele also said she has resigned her position from the art committee, so we are looking for a replacement(s)
    • Catherine Schaff-Stump reported on another resignation
      • at the March 11, 2006 meeting, the resignation of Kate Carey from Concom was accepted
      • Kate will continue on the AnimeIowa staff
      • Concom is looking for a new con suite head to be the masquerade director
    • AnimeIowa question
      • James Osvald asked if there was an approved Paramount bid for AnimeIowa, has anyone seen the contract
      • Catherine Schaff-Stump has been in contact with Laura Thomas, Catherine takes it as a good sign and is not concerned
    • AnimeIowa question
      • James Osvald asked if he should look for a Coralville or a Cedar Rapids location for the next years’ convention
      • James also expressed the desire not to be the contact person, preferring the cons make the hotel contacts
    • Icon report
      • Lindsay Jones reported that the pre-preregistration is over
      • there is still a discounted price of $40
      • Dee Cooper mailed her pre-preregistration Monday, would it be accepted; yes it would
      • there will be a meeting in the next few weeks
      • Michele Maakestad requested it be posted on the yahoo group, it will be
      • everything is in place
    • Zazza memorial
      • Catherine Schaff-Stump reported that Mindbridge sent a memorial of $100 to the Zazza Memorial
      • The Zazza family of the Clarion Hotel in Cedar Rapids, have been very helpful to Icon over the years
      • [note from Christine: the Zazza family has established two Kirkwood Community College scholarships, the Zazza Clarion Hotel and Convention Center Scholarship, which awards $500 each to two students from the Culinary Arts program]
    • Preplanning
      • Catherine Schaff-Stump needs a location for the 2007 AnimeIowa and for the 2007 Icon (Icon 32)
      • Gamicon is set for the Iowa Memorial Student Union for the next two years (February 2007 and 2008)
      • the Crown Plaza Hotel in Cedar Rapids would like to keep AnimeIowa, but the concom says it is too small
      • James Osvald will get the numbers from each con, then approach the different places
      • it was mentioned that the Collins Road Marriott Plaza did offer Icon a good rate not long ago, it was a comparable rate for a better hotel
    • Other projects
    • Game library
      • there will be a March meeting at Nigel Ray’s home
      • contact Michele Maakestad if you are interested in attending
    • Ad team
      • Catherine Schaff-Stump asked how to get in touch with Eric Tucker
      • Michele Maakestad said she would
      • Catherine asked to sound him out
      • James Osvald asked for Michele to give Eric his email since SFLIS (Science Fiction League of Iowa Students) can be used for cheap advertising
    • Copyright issue
      • Michele Maakestad reported that the copyright law information is too massive to fit on one page
      • there are three documents, including the pages on how to interpret the laws
      • Catherine Schaff-Stump wants to read it to see how user friendly it is
      • Fred Coverdill said he’d be willing to read them, could Michele post the links on the Yahoo group
      • Catherine reminded us that no law says that fan art can not be displayed, just that it cannot be used to make money
      • Bryan Stump read a document about copyrights that he proposed Mindbridge use
      • Michele says to add unless they have permission
      • Dee Cooper said, written permission to show
      • Catherine pointed out that someone in the Artist Alley at AnimeIowa might say, draw a Batman for me
      • Catherine reminded us of the Full Metal Alchemist issue, online Japanese sales to the U.S. but a U.S. company had exclusive rights and won the case
      • Dee said it is not our job to police
      • Josh Elliott said the cons are not making a profit, the artist is
      • Michele asked about costumes
      • Catherine said making and wearing costumes is not for profit, unless one was sold at auction and could be taxed
      • Catherine wants us to find legal writing to protect us
      • James Osvald said we are providing the space (implying some liability)
      • Michele said something will have to be printed on the forms vendors/people sign so they can be informed
      • Catherine said the board will finish this, there has been enough discussion
      • Following is the updated version of Bryan Stump’s copyright paragraph:

        In the interests of protecting the intellectual property rights of all artists, all items must be entirely the work of the individual displaying the piece to be eligible for sale or auction. Items for sale may not included copy protected or trademarked material, unless the artist can produce written permission from the individual or corporate holder of the intellectual property rights. Pieces portraying copy protected or trademarked material are eligible for display only. This rule applies to all art show art as well as art available for sale in the artist’s alley.

    • Storage Locker policy
      • Marty Milder presented a storage locker policy
      • Following is the text of the storage locker policy:
        • All items in the storage locker must be the property of Mindbridge.
        • No food or drink unless it is sealed, tolerant of wide temperature swings (below freezing to 100ËšF) and high humidity. Any items that attract insects or wildlife are not allowed unless protected and sealed.
        • Besides the items listed below, all items that can not be fit into a “standard” 18 gallon tote (16”h x 16”w x 24”d) are not allowed.
        • Office supplies.
        • T-shirts and promotional items.
        • Volunteer prizes.
        • Con suite bowls, utensils, toys and games.
        • The above rules can be superseded only with the content of three or more Mindbridge Board members and the notification of the storage locker manager.
        • The person in charge of the storage locker has the right to, without notice, dispose of any item found in the storage locker that is in violation of the above rules.
        • Anything in the storage locker that has not been used for more than one year, can be disposed of by the storage locker person, usually after consulting with the Mindbridge Board.
        • Anything in the locker as of 4/1/06 is Grandfathered in.
      • Marty said there were two 3x3x3 refrigerators that showed up and have never been used again, he wants to remind people there is limited space
      • There should be no personal property in there that we might be culpable for, or that they might want back in two years
      • There should be no foods, the storage locker is like an unheated garage
      • Michele Maakestad said to add temperature sensitive to the document
      • Catherine Schaff-Stump and Michele will modify the policy
      • Catherine said not bodies are allowed because they would not fit
      • Michele said the heat would not be good for them either
      • James Osvald said we’d need dry ice
      • Fred Coverdill said vacuum seal it
      • Marty said we should change the number of board members needed to change the policy from three to two
      • Catherine said the policy would be given to all the cons
      • Dee Cooper asked if we were going to vote on it
      • Michele made the motion to accept the storage locker policy
      • Dee seconded it
      • there were 14 yes with 3 Joshes
    • Social Activities
      • Christine Cromwell asked if there was any interest in going to the the IMAX to walk on the moon before it left
      • Michele Maakestad suggested Christine ask Jon and Rhianna
      • Catherine Schaff-Stump suggested to post it
    • ICon question
      • Peter Wezeman asked when an ICon program would be put together
      • Lindsay Jones said to go ahead and email the con with programing ideas
    • April 5, 2006 Mindbridge meeting
      • the next meeting will be held at Denny Lynch’s house in Cedar Rapids, at 7:00 pm
      • Catherine Schaff-Stump and Christine Cromwell handed out directions
      • Michele Maakestad pointed out that the exit to Denny’s is the some one as to the Clarion Hotel, except you turn east/right instead of west/left
      • Michele will not be there due to pet allergies, and will send proxies for voting
    • May 3, 2006 Mindbridge meeting
      • Catherine Schaff-Stump said the May meeting will be held at The Mill at 6:00
    • New Member
      • Steve Tait attended his second meeting at Gamicon, requested membership, and was accepted.

Below are the minutes from the Mindbridge meeting held on 1 February 2006.

  • The meeting was called to order by Christine Cromwell.
  • Brian Womachka was elected to fill the supercom vacancy left by Tina Fiscus. Shawn Ervin voted for Brian. Christine forgot to read the proxy note that Catherine Schaff-Stump also voted for Brian.
  • The topics of the Minutes from January 4, 2006 were read.
  • Treasures report was read by Jon Maakestad.
    • checking account balance: $1,930.05
    • AnimeIowa account balance: $24,381.05
    • Icon account balance: $1,701.87
    • Gamicon account balance: $1,533.26
  • Gamicon report was read by Shawn Ervin.
    • the guest of honor, Mark MacKinnon will not be able to attend due to last minute government commitments. Blame Canada.
    • there will be an attendee appreciation pizza dinner in place of Mark MacKinnon
    • there were registration forms available for anyone needing to register
    • Gamicon is looking for more people to run board games, there are plenty of role playing events, please sign up on the website
  • AnimeIowa report was read by Jon Maakestad.
    • Jon reported that someone had allegedly embezzled money from the Minnesota group, Misfits, who runs Convergence; there will be some changes to Mindbridge; no money is missing from any Mindbridge fund
    • the next meeting for AnimeIowa will be February 11, 2006, at 2:00 pm at the Crown Plaza in Cedar Rapids
    • AnimeIowa will be held August 4-6, 2006
  • Icon report was read by Lindsay Jones
    • Early Bird Pre-registration is open now; it is $30; Early Bird Pre-registration ends February 28, 2006
    • the at the door entrance fee will be $50; there will be a pre-registration discount after February 28, 2006
    • Icon will be held at the Clarion in Cedar Rapids; a hotel room will cost $90 per night for one to four people
    • Early Bird Pre-registration will be available at Gamicon
  • Preplanning report was read by Michelle McKibben.
    • Michelle has been unable to contact Fantasy Flight about a guest of honor; Brian Womachka will assist her
    • Lindsay Jones made the suggestion to look into a hotel booking for Icon32, soon. The group agreed that one and a half years in advance was not too soon.
  • Game Library
    • Brian Womachka reported on the game library meeting
    • the game library meeting was held last month and they had a great time playing games
    • there will be a game library for Gamicon
  • Ad committee
    • no one was present for the ad committee
    • Eric Tucker is willing to help, Shawn Ervin help him get in touch with Richard Hill
  • Meeting location(s)
    • Lindsay Jones expressed a concern about transportation if the Mindbridge meetings were held outside of Iowa City
    • Marty Milder suggested that if the alternative locations do not draw more than two to four new people, we should either drop or revisit the idea
    • Henry Olsen suggested having the April 2006 Mindbridge meeting at Denny Lynch’s home in Cedar Rapids
    • John Frick made the motion no one opposed
    • 5 Joshes
    • it was requested that directions with maps be placed on the website
    • Christine Cromwell will find out if Denny Lynch is willing to host the meeting April 5th meeting, and find out what is kosher (food, drink, kids, alcohol)
    • Lindsay Jones made the motion to move the meeting to 7:00 pm
    • John Frick seconded
    • it passed with four Joshes
    • Jon Maakestad will be in charge of transportation for those who need it, he can transport six
    • Christine Cromwell can transport three more
    • Jon Maakestad will send an email reminder of the different meeting location
  • Social Activities
    • There will be a Paranoia game tonight in the Michigan State Room at the UI Student Union
  • Volunteer Points
    • Michelle Weinard- McKibben will bring forms to the March meeting for people to turn in volunteer points for 2005
    • This is the last time to turn them in
    • Examples of ways to earn volunteer points are run a convention, physical labor, run and event if not a staff member
  • AnimeIowa Website
    • Jon Maakestad reported there is a new webhost, the previous new server did not have enough bandwidth for the site
    • Dreamhost is the new webhost
    • It does cost a little more
    • New business
      • Shawn Ervin moved to double Jon Maakestad’s salary
      • Peter Wezeman asked what his current salary was
      • since the current salary is zero, it was generally agreed to double it

Below are the minutes from the Mindbridge meeting on 4 January 2006.

  1. Minutes from December 12, 2005 were read
  2. Tina F. is not taking minutes tonight, so Christine C. volunteered to do this
  3. Treasurer’s report was read:
    1. Checking account balance: $2,240.05
    2. AnimeIowa account balance: $24,381.05
    3. Icon account balance: $1,643.38
    4. Gamicon account balance: $1,542.90
  4. Gamicon report:
    1. preregistration ends January 9, 2006
    2. cost is $15 for GMs, $20 for players
    3. after January 9, 2006 the cost increases $5
    4. discussion was made about registering after the 9th to add to Mindbridge funds
    5. anyone interested in running a game needs to talk to or email Brian W. ASAP
    6. Michele M. had a question, “Are you having sponsorships?”
    7. Brian W. will post it to the Website later
  5. AnimeIowa had no report
  6. ICON 31 report:
    1. mailings will going out January 5, 2006 (an attractive postcard)
    2. the budget is conservative, and needs little revision
    3. Date: October 13-15, 2006
    4. Place: Clarion Hotel in Cedar Rapids, IA
    5. Author Guest: C. S. Friedman
    6. Artist Guest: Larry Price
    7. Michele M. suggested Mindbridge only pay “X” amount for transporting art as a protection for ICON 31’s budget
  7. Preplanning committee had no report
  8. Art show report
    1. Michele M. has read a lot of copyright information
    2. be careful, if something is questionable, take it out
    3. anime is very questionable
    4. anime of your own, not copying or portraying another’s work is okay, but do not use characters that belong to others
    5. parody art is okay, no names, check with Mike Cole who knows a lot about parody art
  9. Copyright issue for art work
    1. Catherine S. asked who could write up a copyright summation document for Mindbridge, Michele M. will do this
    2. we also need to make decision about what is okay to sell (be careful here) and to display (most is okay to display), profit is the main factor
  10. Volunteers for ad committee
    1. volunteers are still needed for the ad committee to help Richard H.,
    2. Jori said Eric Tucker was willing to help, but he was not present, information will be provided to him to get him in touch with Richard H.
  11. Storage locker policy
    1. Marty M. said “It slipped my mind.”
    2. Marty M. asked for comments about the policy, email them to flunkysama@gmail.com
    3. we will do an inventory and cleanup of the storage locker in the spring
    4. requests for volunteers will be made a month in advance, probably on a Saturday with a Sunday rain date
  12. Meeting place reports
    1. Dee C. had a report on Cedar Rapids Public Library
    2. Christine C. had a report on Iowa City Public Library
    3. Michele M. said Pizza Ranch in North Liberty, Beaver Creek, has a nice room
    4. Henry O. asked why we were looking
    5. Catherine S. explained we thought about having a few meetings in Cedar Rapids, we also occasionally do not fit in the meeting room at The Mill, also we are sometimes drowned out by live music at The Mill
    6. Dee C. reported there is a room on the second floor of the Cedar Rapids Library, L Room, which is open territory on a first come first serve basis, we might need to share the room with another group, food and drink would be allowed but we would need to pick up after ourselves
    7. discussion diverted into the need for alcohol during a meeting
    8. Christine C. reported there are five or six rooms available in the Iowa City Library, they can be reserved one month in advance, food and drink are allowed, clean up is the groups responsibility
    9. Catherine S. asked for someone to check with Denny Lynch of Cedar Rapids, about the possibility of using his house, Christine C. said she would do this
    10. Brian W. said Merf (Medical Education Research Foundation) might be available; the question was asked if a group needed to be affiliated with the University; Brian W. will check on this
    11. Marty M. inquired about what time and day of the week meetings would be held in Cedar Rapids; Catherine S. said it would likely be 7:00 pm and that the Iowa City meetings could also be changed to 7:00 so SFLIS (Science Fiction League of Iowa Students) members could arrive on time since they meet at The Mill from 5:00-6:00 the same night.
    12. Christine C. asked how meeting places, dates and times would be announced; Catherine S. suggested the Website; Michele M. reminded everyone that the Yahoo site is for members only, so the Cedar Rapids people may not be able to find out; Michele M. will look into membership bylaws for the Cedar Rapids people who would want to become Members but only attend when Mindbridge met in Cedar Rapids
  13. Resignation
    1. Tina F. is resigning from Mindbridge
    2. Catherine S. reported she has received a resignation letter from Tina F. Tina is a 2-year board member and the secretary. She highly regrets this decision, but her life has become too busy
    3. Christine C. volunteered to be the secretary, she is already an at-large 1-year board member; three notebook binders were
    4. at the next meeting we will need to elect a replacement 2-year board member, Brian W. has shown interest, if anyone else is interested or if anyone knows someone interested please contact Mindbridge
  14. Bid for iCon 32
    1. Anthony H. asked if bids for ICon 32 could be submitted; Catherine S. put it on the to-do list for the next board meeting
  15. Membership information and flyer
    1. Dee C. inquired about available flyers to recruit new members
    2. Michele M. will bring flyers to the next meeting for Dee
    3. Tina F. suggested they be left at Daydreams Comics in Iowa City, and at the public library (however, the public library clears out all flyers once a month)
    4. Dee C. suggested leaving flyers at Rude Awakenings and other coffee shops
    5. Catherine S. has asked for volunteers to distribute flyers but there has been no people will to do this
  16. Social organized events
    1. Catherine S. brought up the issue again, of a Mindbridge member who is the social or cruise type person who would like to take this on or to think about it
    2. Scott M. said it would help to look back to the pre-Mindbridge days, before the split from SFLIS; at that time there was a base of people that kept bringing in other people
    3. Catherine S. suggested members could announce what social things they were doing in this month to invite others (movie nights, games, etc.)
    4. alternatively email list on the Website could be used to notify people of activities
    5. the issue of confidentially was mentioned, there are no phone number or addressed on the Website
    6. Tina F. reminded everyone that the Mindbridge Website is for Mindbridge business only
    7. Catherine S. said it could also be used for social purposes
    8. Michele M. is having a Pampered Chef party with a Mexican theme at her home later this month
    9. Mark M., who designed the Website, has set up forums, bulletin boards, the link “Mindbridge Talk” is found at the bottom of the main page
  17. New members
    1. Dee C. and Fred C. joined at this meeting
  18. DVD player
    1. Tina F. has been the keeper of Mindbridge’s DVD player; someone else will need to store it; they may also make use of it but it must be brought to all cons whether used or not