Mindbridge minutes Wednesday, 3 May 2006

  • The meeting was held in Iowa City at 6:00 pm, at The Mill
  • The meeting was called to order by Catherine Schaff-Stump
  • Treasures report by Jon Maakestad
    • checking account balance: $9,772.30
    • AnimeIowa account balance: $23,164.00
    • ICON account balance: $1,215.80
    • Gamicon account balance: $1,915.74
    • This is actually short a bit, because there is money sitting in Paypal.
  • The minutes from last time were not read by Christine Cromwell, people may read them on the Mindbridge website
  • AnimeIowa report
    • The next meeting will be May 13, 2006, Jon Maakestad said, he also said to have your mother sign up for the masquerade.
    • still completing the contract, we are penciled in at the Paramount in Cedar Rapids (for the masquerade)
    • the convention will be at the Crown Plaza, two blocks from the Paramount
    • Heidi Henson, the logistics person for AnimeIowa, visited the meeting
  • Icon report
    • Josh Elliot said the dealers mailing will be going out in a few weeks
    • Lindsay Jones said things were going well
  • Gamicon report
    • Brian Womachka said the general meeting was held last week
    • they have a flyer ready
    • there is an online panel discussion, a 24 hour gaming room, the survival pack will be back
  • Pre-Planning Committee report
    • Dan Wojcik and James Osvald will be meeting with the Marriott for Icon 32, 2007
    • The proposal has been given to the board
    • They are thinking of holding AnimaIowa 2007 at the Coralville Convention Center, the Convention Center will have a bid for us next month, it will open August 2006
  • Costume Con 24 will be the last weekend in May at Hotel Fort Des Moines
  • Art Show Policy Vote
    • discussion continues regarding copyright issues
    • Bryan Stump said if the art is a parody, and not to make money, but is challenged in court, it usually goes to the ones with the most money, judges have been awarding $150,000 per item
    • Cath Schaff-Stump said the best place for protection is a change of medium, paint pictures of B5 characters, the Andy Warhol effect, if get permission it is okay
    • the Con can display but not sell
    • a vote was held for the art policy: 13 approved, 0 opposed, 2 Joshes (abstained)
    • the art policy will go into effect January 2007
  • Storage locker inventory
    • Marty Milder would like to inventory the storage locker Saturday, May 20 at noon
    • the rain date will be Sunday, May 21, 2006
    • the storage locker is located at the Penn Street Mini Storage, #21 (take exit 4 off I-380 and go east about 1.4 miles, Penn Street Mini Storage is on the left/north side of W Penn Street, 1020 Penn St, North Liberty, IA)
    • we will remove the totes, rearrange
  • Update on personnel issues: Pending board meeting
    • the board will be discussing the following issues:
      • personnel issues
      • board member rotation will be considered, some members are permanent with no end to the position
      • board member to replace Josh Hammel
      • advertising team
      • pre-planning members for con
  • June 2006 meeting
    • Cath Schaff-Stump will be in Russian, congratulations to a new Fulbright Scholar
    • Brian Womachka will run the June meeting
    • the June 2006 meeting will be held at The Mill at 6:00
  • July 2006 meeting
    • there was discussion about the July meeting which is suppose to be in Cedar Rapids or North Liberty
    • originally we were going to alternate between Cedar Rapids (CR Public Library or Denny Lynch’s house) and North Liberty (Pizza Ranch on Dubuque St) every three months
    • some people thought North Liberty was not central enough and that the meeting should be in Cedar Rapids
    • some one suggested having a cook out at Denny Lynch’s house
    • Christine Cromwell will contact Denny to see if we can do this and what he would require of us
  • Bids for AnimeIowa 2007
    • Dan Wojcik is ready to accept bids for AnimeIowa 2007
    • a statement will be added that by attending AnimeIowa, a person gives permission to have their pictures used
    • Tracie Michlin said that we should give everyone an out in case they didn’t want their picture used
    • Jon Maakestad will post three refund policies options for us to look at and consider for con membership
  • meeting was adjourned

Mindbridge minutes Wednesday, April 5, 2006

  • The meeting was held in Cedar Rapids at 7:00 pm, in the home of Denny Lynch
  • The meeting was called to order by Catherine Schaff-Stump
  • Treasures report, supplied by Jon Maakestad, was read by Christine Cromwell.
    • checking account balance: $9,622.30
    • AnimeIowa account balance: $18,507.00
    • ICON account balance: $695.80
  • Gamicon report and bid vote
    • there is only one bid to vote on
    • Catherine Schaff-Stump asked if the goal will be to increase attendance or to maintain the status quo
    • Steve Tait said he was interested in advertising, like writing to gamers magazines
    • Fred Coverdill asked what we do outside of a postcard flyer for advertising
    • John Frick said they were planning to send out postcards, flyers, and a second postcard
    • Brian Womachka and Steve will help with advertising
    • Catherine asked Brian if there was anything else
    • Brian said the budget was balanced, they should make $100 profit, and have an attendance goal of 266
    • Steve asked if we had weather insurance
    • Cath said not, just insurance for terrible things like injuries
    • Brian added, or hotel cancelations
    • Cath held the vote, there were 10 votes and 4 proxies approving the Gamicon bid, no opposed, and no Joshes
    • a question was asked if we knew the guest of honor
    • Brian said they were waiting until it was official
    • Denny Lynch suggested inviting Miyazaki
  • ICON report by John Frick
    • John Frick said the contracts are signed for the artist and guest of honor
    • registrations are being sold
    • there is a positive bank balance
    • things are coming along well
    • Jennifer Todd asked where information will be posted
    • John said on the ICON list (on the ICON Yahoo group)
  • Preplanning Committee report by Catherine Schaff-Stump
    • ICON:
      • there is a bid with the Clarion, with Zazaa, the Clarion is under new management
      • Shannon Finnegan was to send an ICON bid for 2007 to Michele and Jon this week
    • AnimeIowa:
      • Laura Thomas replaces Ryan Hammel for AnimeIowa Preplanning
      • Steve Tait asked about the absent member policy
      • Cath said the board can decide to waive the normal attendance
      • John Frick would like to volunteer to sit in on meeting for ICON to learn how to run cons
      • Cath reminded everyone that AnimeIowa does have a continuity, and there are about 350 people who attend ICON from which to draw new people, but there is a “graying of cons” taking place all over
      • Fred Coverdill suggested contacting high school students
      • Cath still thinks the current base is the best place to draw from
      • John said it would be good to get better guests
      • Cath said it would be good to build towards this goal
      • Marty Milder said better guests cost more money, with a limited budget can we do this?
      • Cath said we need to ask ICON attendees, we need a poll to see what they want more, to see a guest or to hang out with their buddies
      • Steve said, rather than a guest, ICON 13 had a guest fandom, 25-30 people said they never knew there was a SciFi Convention in Iowa City
      • Brian said Critical Hits Games in Coralville had never heard of Gamicon
  • Old business – Art Show and copyright policy
    • Cath said we will vote on it next month (May meeting) The policy goal is to make up legal
    • both Denny Lynch and Jenny Todd talked bout parody art being sold at ICON
    • Bryan Stump said it is not legal, for example, Miyazaki is now with Disney
    • Steve Tait asked about selling mass produced, used art
    • Cath said it isn’t allowed, that is more of an auction item
    • enny said the movie industry want to eliminate videos, DVDs, CDs, and sheet music, from second hand sales
    • Jenny asked about the Dealers Room
    • Cath said the Dealers Room has not been addressed yet, it will need a separate policy
    • Marty Milder asked about the scenario that someone, in exchange for art, agrees to donate a sizable amount to a charity
    • Cath said to let her know if there are any more issues and it will be put on the agenda for next month
    • the reason for the policy is that both AnimeIowa and ICON get a cut from the art show
  • Old business – storage locker inventory
    • Marty Milder will set a time in early May to take an inventory
  • New business – personnel issues
    • 1we will need a new treasurer within a year, March 2007, the books and receipts are organized well
    • Christine Cromwell said she prefers being a treasurer over a secretary, that is usually what she has been in past organizations, and she holds a Certificate in Accounting from Northwestern University
    • Fred Coverdill said his father, Fred Coverdill Sr, would be willing and able to be the treasurer, Fred talked to his father on his cell phone
    • Steve Tait, lives in Springville (about an hour from Iowa City), but he would be willing to help
    • Cath thinks it would be easier to find a secretary than to find a treasurer
    • 2we will also need a database manager
    • the registration system is dreadful
    • John Frick asked if we need a database vs. access – John has done database but cannot volunteer for management due to his current job
    • Cath said the board needs to look at the issue
    • Cath said Josh Goldsborough also is good
    • Brian Womachka said Jeff Strauss (a Con com member) might be interested
    • Marty Milder said we need to create a document about what exactly is the needed from a database
  • New business – board member terms
    • Ryan Hammel is being replaced as a board member
    • the term is up in October 2006
    • the floor is open for nominations, write or call the board with names
  • New business – board structure
    • currently there are two permanent board members with no number of years given for their terms; two board member positions with 2-year terms who can serve on Con Coms; and one 1-year term board member
    • originally the Mindbridge vision guided the group, now the group itself, the members, guide the vision
    • one suggestion is to have five board members with staggered terms, such as 3-year terms
    • Jenny Todd likes the 1-year rotating term, it is useful
    • John Frick thinks 3-years is excessive, go to 2-year terms
    • Steve Tait thought the permanent board member names were used so that the same names would go on the tax forms each year
    • John said we could have one name repeat from the previous tax year, each time
    • the board will continue discussing this issue/li>
  • Tammy Siler Jones to read in North Liberty
    • Tamara Siler Jones will be reading and signing at the North Liberty Library on Thursday, April 6, 2006, at 7:00 pm.
  • the May 3, 2006 meeting will be in Iowa City at The Mill

We would like to remind you that the next Mindbridge Monthly Meeting is coming up this week.

Date: Wednesday April 1, 2006
Time: 7:00PM – 8:00PM CST (GMT-06:00)

Monthly Mindbridge Meeting at The Lynch Casa, 68 36th Ave. SW
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404-4056 Phone: 319-365-5857

NOTE: Please note that the April meeting will be held an hour later than usual and will be at Denny Lynch’s house rather than the Mill!